When creating cute characters try to incorporate as many features considered as cute as possible:
- Large head in relation to the body (even half of the whole body length).
- Big eyes, placed low and wide apart.
- High forehead (since the eyes are placed low, the forehead becomes long).
- Small mouth, placed close to the nose.
- Small nose, placed close to the eyes (or no nose at all).
- Small ears.
- Short neck or no neck at all (head joins directly with the body).
- Small body in relation to the head.
- Bulged tummy (looks well-fed).
- Short and plump legs.
- Not too long arms.
- Soft and round forms.
- Funny/cute attributes (f.ex. bunny slippers, polka dot bow)
These are just general guidelines of course :) not strict rules.
Some characters will be perceived as cute even though they have features contrary to the above list f.ex. Rudolph with a large red nose, elephant with large ears. That is because exaggerating characteristic traits is another way of making a character sweet and likable :)